Spencer & Associates

Personal Injury Lawyers

Se habla español

24/7 contact Free Initial Consultation

Call Us Today: (818) 264-4776

We are Dedicated to Achieving Your Satisfaction.


  • "A very special thanks. I don't know what I would have done without you. You were always there when I needed you. You helped to make the worst experience of my life so much easier to live with.

    - Nancy F.
  • “Richard Spencer was there for us from the day after my accident, representing me and my wife, and there throughout the whole lawsuit until it was settled.

    - Felix D.
  • A little over year ago I found myself in need of legal counsel. It's stressful enough when you are in an accident that stops your life as you know it.

    - Marie K.
  • My son and I were involved in a major car accident and my son was seriously injured. I met Richard and he got my son the maximum we could get.

    - Eran F.
  • I've used Mr. Spencer's services a couple of times now and could not be happier with the level of service, his professionalism, and the manner.

    - Gabriel S.
  • Richard is my GO TO ATTORNEY, I know he will take care of my legalities and I trust Richard in every aspect of handling my law case.

    - Sandra B.

What do you do when you're in an out-of-state car accident?

Are you heading out of the state for a vacation this year?

There's no good time for a car accident -- but some times seem worse than others. When you're in a different state, a car accident can be particularly troublesome. Here's what you should do, both before and after you leave for your trip:

1. Double check your insurance coverage

Make certain that you meet the minimum required limits of coverage (or better) for your state -- just to be certain that you aren't driving without the proper insurance. If you're in an accident in a state that has a higher minimum insurance requirement, don't panic -- your coverage will raise to match it while you're in that state.

2. Check for policy limits

Ask your car insurance company about any out-of-state details affecting your policy that you should know -- especially if you plan on venturing into Mexico or Canada. There may be hidden policy limits that you don't know about.

3. Find out if you're heading to a no-fault state

In some states, the "no-fault" insurance program requires a person's own car insurance to cover his or her injuries in most cases -- regardless of who is at fault. If you are, you may want to increase your minimum coverage for the duration of your trip.

4. If you are in an accident, get documentation

Don't take chances. If anyone is hurt, call an ambulance -- let the hospital sort out the insurance in an emergency. Contact the police immediately. Make sure that you get the officer's card and the contact number where you can obtain a copy of the accident report. Along with copies of the other driver's insurance information, make sure that you take some quick pictures of the accident scene and any damage to either car (if possible).

Don't let the fear of an auto accident this summer keep you still -- just take a few simple precautions and remind yourself that the procedures are similar no matter where you go.

Source: lofrano.com, "How to Handle an Out of State Road Trip Car Accident," accessed May 24, 2018

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Office Locations

Spencer & Associates
22801 Ventura Blvd
Suite 112
Woodland Hills, CA 91364

Phone: 818-264-4776
Get Directions